Asthma & COPD Fundamentals eLearning Course
This course was developed by the Asthma and Respiratory Foundation NZ and Whitireia NZ. The modules have been created to align with the latest New Zealand best practice guidelines: NZ Adolescent and Adult Asthma Guidelines 2020, the revised NZ Child Asthma Guidelines, and the NZ COPD Guidelines 2021.
The Asthma and COPD
Fundamentals eLearning course has been endorsed by the College of Nurses
Aotearoa (NZ) Inc for 12 CPD (continuing professional development) hours.
The programme consists of 4 online eLearning modules:
Module one - Asthma Fundamentals Objectives:
· To understand the prevalence and causes of asthma in New Zealand
· To understand the anatomy and physiology of the respiratory system and the underlying pathophysiology of asthma
· To understand the test tools available to diagnose asthma
This module contains: Current statistics for NZ, anatomy and physiology of the respiratory system, functions and control of respiration, features of asthma such as early and late phases, triggers, occupational and exercise induced asthma, diagnosis and tests.
Module two – Asthma Management Objectives:
· To understand the aims and approaches to asthma management
· To understand and be able to identify the types of asthma medication available in New Zealand
· To understand the key points to writing an asthma action plan
This module contains: Goals of treatment, medications, adult and child asthma guidelines, treatable traits, asthma action plans.
Module three – COPD Management Objectives:
· To have an understanding of the incidence of and risk factors for developing COPD
· To have an understanding of the signs and symptoms and co-morbidities of COPD
· To have an understanding of the management options available when treating a patient with COPD
This module contains: COPD statistics in NZ, morbidity and mortality, causes and onset of COPD, signs and symptoms, pathophysiology, diagnosis, goals of management, self-management and COPD guidelines.
Module four – Health Promoting Practice Objectives:
· To have an understanding of the underlying social determinants that can impact on respiratory health
· To have an understanding of health literacy and its impact on Asthma and COPD
· To reflect on what it means to provide culturally responsive care
This module contains: Social determinants of health, health promoting practice, cultural responsiveness and health literacy.
This online interactive course is specifically designed for health professionals who are interested in expanding their understanding of management of asthma and COPD in both the primary and secondary settings.
This will contribute to any registration requirements in regard to professional development hours. You gain 12 CPD hours upon successful completion of the online course.
Estimated duration 8-12 hours depending on previous experience of the eLearning course.